Saturday, September 13, 2014

More from the Journal....Very Random


June 30, 2014

As I look at my bank account. I feel like Harry Dunne: "I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog..."



July 4, 2014


I saw the fireworks over Seeley Lake tonight. I am writing from my "pent(out)house suite" at the Nordic Trails trail head. Sleepy but restless as I mull over the fact this state has taken ahold of my soul a bit. From Red Rocks Pass and the Centennial Valley to Seeley Lake, there has been no part of Montana that I did not feel myself wanting to further explore and stay longer.


Serenity is the concept my brain and heart kept playing with today as I rode. Serenity. The rivers, lakes and mountains exemplify the word like no other. The mountains do not hold my attention and lust like those of the majestic kings of Colorado, but they call with a softer voice--comforting and peaceful.


I ride without lights--in complete daylight--until 10pm. I drink in the cool pockets of air, I smell pine up high and fresh cut hay down low. The people of this land live with a great contentment and reflect a simplicity that is alluring. 


Could a move to Missoula compete with a return to Durango this fall? I think I need to find out.....



July 5, 2014


While waiting for my precious and steaming hot French Toast breakfast at Pop's Place the next morning, I looked out the window, then looked into my heart, grabbed a napkin and my pen. 


Here is what came out:




Note: After I got back to Denver, I did return and spent a week in Missoula. Me being me, I had to see. I had to explore the possibility of moving to Missoula even though I can't see myself calling anywhere but the San Juan mountains my true and permanent home. 


Missoula is an incredible place. Great people, small town feel, good culture, community, fishing, biking, hiking, you name it. And I could live in Missoula. 


If Durango, Colorado did not exist.....



June 24, 2014


Rawlins, WY.


My Wandering Jew died here....I loved that plant. Funny the little things that I remember. Each place I have been to along the TD brings back many, many memories. Mostly good. But not this one.....


Little did I know the plant and my marriage would share the same fate. Looking back, I think I kind of wondered. You know what they say about hindsight.....


Wow, that seems like an eternity of lifetimes ago.....wonder where he lives now? Haven't thought of him in probably 5 or 6 years. It took Rawlins to stir the memory.


Funny life is. sometimes.


(Ok, I will give you the backstory: Rawlins was where we (myself, my ex-husband and his son) stopped to stay the night on our move from Eugene, OR to Denver 9 1/2 years ago. We had a horse trailer packed with our belongings and it was freezing cold. I knew that the plant was going to freeze overnight but there was no way I could get to the tub to bring it into the motel. It did. I tried to save it but no luck. I got a tiny start a couple years ago from a friend in Silverton. It is currently thriving in my kitchen window.)



July 7, 2014


I have no words to write. None. Already written them all in my head and I am too lazy to jot them down. The Canadian Nazi Border Patrol lady is ridiculous. Don't let her get you down. Setting my alarm for 2am and will be climbing Galton Pass to see the sunrise from the top. 


I found this in a magazine at the Grocery Store in Eureka. It speaks to me. I like dares.



Dare to Be


When a new day begins, dare to smile gratefully.


When there is darkness, dare to be the first to shine a light.


When there is injustice, dare to be the first to condemn it.


When something seems difficult, dare to do it anyway.


When life seems to beat you down, dare to fight back.


When there seems to be no hope, dare to find some.


When you’re feeling tired, dare to keep going.


When times are tough, dare to be tougher.


When love hurts you, dare to love again.


When someone is hurting, dare to help them heal.


When another is lost, dare to help them find the way.


When a friend falls, dare to be the first to extend a hand.


When you cross paths with another, dare to make them smile.


When you feel great, dare to help someone else feel great too.


When the day has ended, dare to feel as you’ve done your best.


Dare to be the best you can –


At all times, Dare to be!”


― Steve Maraboli