Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Outsider

I was going to post my NAP project blog tonight. But even in all its length, its not quite finished.


Eric Church's new album came out yesterday. It, like everything else he has ever released, is one of those that no song gets skipped. A bit of a new sound, maybe a little more rockabilly, a definite "paint where there ain't supposed to be paint" rebellious theme, but packed with the same raw emotion and heart that allows me to listen to the same songs over and over again like it was the first time.

Well, ok...actually over and over again is an understatement. Every night on the 2012 AZT 750, Eric's songs played in my ears on repeat. Sometimes I joined him at the top of my lungs to stay awake, sometimes I just floated along half asleep listening to the comforting lyrics and music that kept the crank turning until sunrise.

Either way, The Outsiders just got added to my playlist that will carry me through the desert once again in approximately 8 weeks. Highly suggest you check it out. Especially "A Man Who Was Gonna Die Young" "Dark Side" and "Like A Wrecking Ball."

As I lie perfectly still on my bed and listen, I dream of the adventure ahead that begins at the Mexican border and ends at Junction Creek. I wonder what the summer will bring, what I will see and feel, how I will change throughout and who will be in Durango in August to haul my exhausted carcass and trusty old steed home. I wonder why I am the way I am. What exactly is the force I have known since birth that drives me higher and higher. Why "normal" bypassed me. Why I struggle socially and relationally. (Is that a word? yeah, I am going with it).

And then my mind pops back to the present and Eric's voice filling my room. And I realize that I don't really care if I know the answers right now because many will come this summer aboard two wheels. And many I will still wonder about.

All part of the journey.....

Perhaps the best part.










No comments:

Post a Comment